Learn to Speak Mandarin Chinese
photo gallery
Apply Now
Contact Us
Home > F & Q
About Us
Our Services
China Business
Martial Arts
Private 1-On-1 Mandarin
Private 1-On-1 Mandarin
Youth Programs
HK & Macau Students
Tailor Made
Universities & School
Visa & Travel
Fees & Schedule
Registration Procedure

Student Feedback
Photo Gallery
China Facts
Learn Mandarin Chinese in China
Study Mandarin Chinese in China
Study at Chinese Universities
Study Chinese Language in China
Learn Chinese Language
Learn to Speak Mandarin Chinese
Study in China


  • Universities and Program Requirements
  • Application and Payment
  • Visa
  • Cancellation and Refund Policy
  • Health, Medical Insurance, and Vaccinations
  • Weather and Wear
  • What to Bring to Beijing
  • Food
  • Money
  • Work and Study
  • Internet Access
  • Laundry
  • Voltage
  • Safety and Security
  • Religious Organization
  • Traveling in China

  • Universities and Program Requirements

    Why should I study Putonghua in Beijing?
    Beijing is the capital of China, the ideal place to study Mandarin, Chinese culture and business.

    What are your admission requirements?
    PRC Study Programs are open to all persons worldwide provided they are:

    • 18 to 60 years old (Exceptions can be made, please contact PRC Study)
    • Have completed high school
    • In good health

    Which university should I chose?
    All of the universities are top-notch universities. Depending on your what you are looking for, PRC Study is sure that one of the universities will be able to match your requirements. Please contact a PRC Study staff member to assist you selecting the right Chinese language study program.

    How long should I study?
    Students often show remarkable results only after 4 months of study (one semester in "A" level). Generally speaking, students who reach "D" Level (which generally takes three to four semesters to reach) will be able to read newspapers with ease. Speed of learning also depends on how dedicated you are to studying the Chinese language. The more you study, the faster you will learn. Being in China though will give you round the clock opportunity to practice with locals.

    How do I know what level to apply for?
    You do not need to apply for a specific level , though it is a good idea to inform us whether you have study Mandarin before, for how long, and how many Chinese characters you know . ALL PRC Study participants are tested on the first program day to determine the appropriate level for their classes.

    What is the difference between Regular and Intensive Mandarin Chinese Courses?
    The Regular courses offer 20 hours of Mandarin Chinese lessons a week Monday through Friday, whereas the Intensive courses offer 30 hours of Mandarin Chinese lessons a week Monday through Friday.

    Can I receive university credits for the Chinese language programs?
    BLCU, Peking University, Tsinghua University and UIBE each have cooperative arrangements with numerous universities and research institutions around the world; and each university offer credits for many of their programs. The final decision to accept academic credits, however, is up to your home university; so we recommend that you discuss your study plans with your university before coming to China. After you have completed your study program in China, PRC Study will assist you in obtaining the course credit support information and documentation required by your home university.

    Will I need to buy textbooks?
    PRC Study will give each student the required textbooks for the program they are enrolled in, as well as a Chinese-English dictionary. Additional reference materials may be used at the PRC Study library.

    Is there a language policy?
    Participants are expected to use Putonghua during the program at all times. Participants are also expected to respect fellow participants and each other's cultures.

    Back to top

    Application and Payment

    When do I apply?
    We recommend students to apply as well in advance as possible for registration is based on a "first come, first served" basis. Early registration will also allow students enough time to make the necessary arrangements to come and study in China (i.e. visas).

    How do I apply?
    Submit your application form with all the required documents, the application fee and program deposit to PRC Study. Within 4 days after receiving your application, PRC Study will confirm your program placement and the university's admission decision by fax or email.

    Can I still apply for a program if it is past the application deadline?
    You must contact PRC Study to find out if the program is full. If it is not, you may still apply. However, if you are applying for a program after the application and enrollment deadline, you must pay the A pplication fee and the FULL program fee when you send us your application form. It is recommended that you check first with your nearest Chinese Visa Office about visa requirements to make sure you can obtain your visa in time.

    When is the payment deadline?
    The non-refundable application fee and non-refundable program deposit are due when you first apply to PRC Study . The program deposit will be deducted from the full tuition fee for that program. The remainder of the tuition fee must be paid in full in US DOLLARS by the program payment deadline as indicated in the Program's Fees & Schedule section of the website.

    Can I arrive prior to the first day of the program start date?
    Yes. Just inform PRC Study of your planned arrival date and we will arrange your accommodation to start on the day you designate. Please note you will be responsible for paying the additional accommodation fees for the days outside of your course program.

    What if I arrive late for my program?
    All students are expected to be present for the first day (testing day) of the program. Kindly make every effort to arrive on time. If for some reason you cannot arrive for the first day, you MUST notify PRC Study at least two weeks before the program start date. If you are to arrive late, it is strongly recommended that you arrive no later than one week after the program start date. If you arrive after this time , or without prior notice, you may lose your place in the program and a refund will not be provided.

    Back to top


    Will I need a Visa to study in China ?
    Yes. Click here for more information about obtaining a Visa to China.

    How do I get a Visa?
    When PRC Study receives your application form, the non-refundable application fee and program deposit, we will send you a Student Information Package. This package will contain the necessary documents for you to go and apply for a Visa at the Chinese Visa Office in your home country. A medical examination may also be required depending on which country you are coming from and your intended length of stay in China.

    How long does it take to get a Visa ?
    Although processing times can vary from country to country, you should allow ample time to obtain your China Visa . Please check with the Chinese Embassy or Consulate nearest you.

    What if I don't get my Visa in time for the program for which I've applied?
    If you do not receive your Visa in time for the program for which you are enrolled, you may postpone to another Chinese Language program (ONE TIME ONLY) provided you give PRC Study one month's written notice. Please note that the application fee and the program deposit are non-refundable. In case of visa refusal only, please see refund policy below.

    Back to top

    Cancellation and Refund Policy

    What are your cancellation and refund policies?
    It is the student's responsibility to notify the PRC Study of any changes in plans before his/her program starts.  

    • Requests to cancel a program must be made in writing to the PRC Study with a brief explanation for the withdrawal.
    • Refused a Chinese Visa: Those participants who are refused a Visa to China will receive a full refund on their program fee (minus the application fee and program deposit), provided that written notice prior the start of the program and the original visa rejection documents issued by the Chinese Consulate Office are given to PRC Study.
    • Standard Refund Policy: Excluding the non-refundable application fee and program deposit, and agent fee, if applicable, refunds will not exceed the table below:

    Program Fee Refund Policy  (% Refunded):

    Notice Given:


    30 days or more before start of program


    20 - 29 days before start of program


    15 - 19 days before start of program


    14 days or less before start of program

    No Refund

    Once program has started

    The refund policy is as such due to the many expenses involved in arranging a program and the various policies of schools and housing. Please note that PRC Study makes financial commitments on behalf of its participants well in advance of the start date.

    Back to top

    Health, Medical Insurance, and Vaccinations

    Will I need medical insurance?
    Required by the Chinese Government, all international students must have medical insurance when studying in China. For your convenience and safety, medical insurance is included for all students enrolled in PRC Study's full service programs. Students enrolled for Tuition Only programs are strongly encouraged to purchase their own insurance before coming to China.

    What vaccinations do I need for China?
    The following vaccinations and applicable frequencies are recommended for students coming to China: Hepatitis A (within previous 10 years); Hepatitis B (within previous 5 to 10 years), Japanese B Encephalitis (within previous 3 years); Tetanus (within previous 10 years); Polio (within previous 10 years); and Typhoid (once in lifetime). Students 55 and older should also have a Pneumococcal Vaccine.

    Back to top

    Weather and Wear

    Spring (March to May)

    Spring, which is short, dry and dusty, brings an array of interested weather which can spur sand storms, to warming temperatures to pollinating flowers. T he weather this time of year is nice and mild. Bring a sweater and a windbreaker for cool and windy days, jeans for the evening, and even shorts during some days.

    Summer (June to Mid September)
    The weather in Beijing during the summer months is hot and dry . Temperatures vary from 2 5 - 40 degrees Celsius. Light summer clothing , such as T-shirts, shorts, and jeans are recommended.

    Fall (Mid September to Mid November)
    Fall brings beautiful natural colors and moderate weather. It is best to bring a coat and some sweaters for the evenings.

    Winter (Mid November to February)
    Winter is cold but usually nice and sunny. This is a great time to enjoy all winter sports. However, warm coat, gloves hat and winter boots are necessary. Temperatures may vary between - 20 and 5 degrees, but in general the temperature is about 0 degrees.

    Back to top

    What do I need to bring with me to Beijing?

    You can find almost every product and brand in Beijing as you would in your home country, including soap, shampoo, toothpaste, drinks and so on.

    • Medication: We suggest you bring sufficient prescription medication or preferred over-the-counter medication (i.e. Tylernol, cold & flu tablets, etc.) from you home country to last for the duration of your visit, as these may not be readily available in China.

    • Clothing and Shoes: You will find clothing and shoes readily available and at very inexpensive prices. However, larger sizes may be harder to find.

    • Household Items: Smaller items, including electronics, furniture, cleaning supplies, linens and blankets can all be bought quite cheaply in stores.

    Back to top


    How much do meals cost?
    Campus cafeterias offer a single dish meal with rice for as little as 4 RMB per person. On and off campus Local Chinese restaurants offer meals for about 10 - 20 RMB per person. Finer western restaurants offer meals from about 50 to 100 RMB per person.

    Back to top


    If you intend to stay in Beijing for several months, you should plan to have money for your everyday expenses, including food, entertainment, transportation, and so on. You can try and use ATM machines to withdraw money from your home bank account or a better method is to carry Traveler's checks, which tends to be the safest and most reliable. Participants enrolled in longer courses may wish to open a Chinese bank account and transfer funds from their home country.

    Back to top

    Can I work while studying in China?

    According to the government regulations, international students cannot work during their studies. However, part-time work or internships are sometimes allowed. Jobs teaching English are particularly easy for native English speakers to find.

    Back to top

    Is Internet access available?

    Internet access is provided free to all Full Service PRC Study participants through computer stations in the PRC Study Student Lounge. In-home Internet access for interested students can also be arranged. However, the individual must pay for connection and usage fees, which are relatively cheap in China. In addition, Internet access is also available in the many Internet Cafes found throughout the university areas.

    Back to top

    Where can I do my laundry?

    Washing machines are readily available in or nearby the various accommodation options. There are also Laundry mats conveniently located on and off campus, providing laundering, ironing, mending, and dry cleaning services.

    Back to top

    What is the voltage used in China?

    The electricity voltage in Beijing is 220W. To be able to use your electrical appliances brought from your home country, you may need to use a transformer or adapter, and these can be purchased locally in China.

    Back to top

    Safety & Security

    Beijing is a safe city. However, you must always be careful as you would in your own country.

    Back to top

    Do the universities have religious organizations and activities?

    While there are no religious groups officially registered as student organizations in any of the universities in Beijing, you are free to participate in off-campus religious activities, as long as these activities abide to the Chinese law and regulation.

    Back to top

    Traveling in China

    China has a rich culture and long history, with many must-see scenic areas. International students should take advantage of their free time and travel. However, it is recommended that you make these visits during regular holidays and/or on weekends. That's because the Chinese Language Programs run quickly and if you fall behind, this might make your studies a little more difficult. If you wish to visit other countries while you are staying in China , you must obtain a re-entry visa from the Chinese Consulate Office.

    Back to top

    Mandarin Chinese Language

    China Business

    Martial Arts


    HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi)

    Youth Camp

    Video Tours

    Learn to Speak Mandarin Chinese
    Study at Chinese Universities
    Learn Chinese Language in China

    About Us  |  Our Services  |  Programs  |  Universities  |  Accommodation  |  Insurance
    Visa & Travel  |  Fees & Schedule  |  Registration  |  FAQ  |  Resources

    Programs: Mandarin  |  Mandarin & Business  |  Mandarin & HSK  |  Mandarin & Martial Arts
    China Facts  |  Beijing Life  |  Student Feedback  |  Newsletter  |  Contact Us  |  Language

    Email Us: info at prcstudy.com

    Copyright © 2002 - 2008 PRC Study Consulting Limited
    Disclaimer  Terms & Conditions  Privacy Policy